Hello there, I’m Kathleen Fred, a product manager consulting with a diverse group of clients to make practical products. Prior to consulting, I served as the Manager of Art Direction + Graphic Design at Lilly Pulitzer. There, I sought to put the multi-generational consumer at the heart of all team initiatives, collaborated with cross-functional partners in marketing, distribution and fashion, and never ever said “because we’ve always done it this way”. The results were our highest retail sales year, online flagship boom, and a partnership with Target that crashed their site. Read more about the metrics + results here.
I loved my work there, my team and the leadership, but left in 2015 after my mother was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Exactly a year later my mom passed away; my time dedicated to her is a year I am deeply grateful for.
I continued collaborating with startups on the east and west coasts (including ex-IDEO-ers Community x Design, Translator, and BigApps2017). My natural entrepreneurial spirit led me to develop a grief recovery product (Loss Letters) and co-run a monthly fundraising product (Queer Soup Night). I’m currently building a digital product for teens who have lost a caretaker through death or incarcerated (how). Read more about these products and the resulting metrics here.
Product Manager Consultant
July 2015 – current
Product development, visual strategy, digital design for a range of clients, including: Translator, BigApps2017, Community x Design, Urban Outfitters/Anthropologie (Terrain), Textile Arts Center, Thea's English Standard Tea, Kivvit, Google, White Heat Yoga, Queer Soup Night
Loss Letters, founder. Product: digital grief recovery resource and community. Results 10% month over month UGC increase; 70% average open rate.
Queer Soup Night, co-organizer, founding member. Product: monthly fundraising event. Results 200% donation increase; 160% attendance increase over 4 events.
Manager of Art Direction + Design; Senior Leadership Team
Lilly Pulitzer | July 2010 – july 2015
Developed and led implementation of visual strategy through creative direction, team management and 3-year planning. Grew team from one to fully-staffed department servicing web, print, social media, retail and B2B.
- Created Life in Print visual brand identity across multiple touch points: digital, direct mail, and facilitated the translation to store design; Results 9% homepage bounce rate, email campaign response at double and triple the industry standard, $12-14 ROI for direct mail,.
- Selected for the Senior Leadership Team, a group of 30 employees working with the Operating Committee developing and implementing strategy to double revenue over a 3 year period.
- Directed photo-shoots with world renowned photographers including Russell James, Ben Watts and Roland Bello.
- Co-led ecommerce website relaunch and innovated on product photography. Results Highest online sales since site launch, record sales year for the brand.
- Collaborated with Consumer Relations Manager to implement design strategy based on consumer segmentation and test new segments. Results Consumer retention rates and average annual spends have steadily increased.
Quaker City Mercantile | Apr 2007 – July 2010
Developed and designed brand identities, packaging design, illustration and guerilla strategies with a balanced conceptual approach. Accounts include: William & Grant, Lilly Pulitzer, Feel Good Café, Aramark and Art in the Age.
Power Design | Sep 2006 – Jan 2007
Designed brand identities, websites and print materials. Accounts include: GlaxoSmithKline, Northeastern University, Penn GSE, CN8 and Swiss Farms.
General Assembly, New York
Product Management 10-week program with Ryan Harper, Senior Product Manager at Condé Nast Entertainment
University of Delaware
Bachelor of fine arts in visual communication – concentration in graphic design | 2006
Art Direction Intern
Hill, Holliday | Summer 2006
Assisted in design and major pitches. Accounts include: CVS, Grolsh Beer, Habitat for Humanity, Dunkin' Donuts, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care and LoJacks.
Study Abroad in London, England
Five-week study in design and art direction with studio, exhibition and agency visits including: Alan Fletcher, Williams Murray Hamm, Mother, BBH, Michael Johnson and Pentagram.
- Product Management, General Assembly | Fall 2017
- Unthinkable Mind with Lynda Barry | July 2014
- Gotham Memoir Writing I and II with Domenica Ruta | 2013 + 2014